The Area Health/Nutrition Coordinator takes overall responsibility for the implementation of the health and nutrition component of GOAL s programming in North Darfur, including some integrated WASH activities. The Health and Nutrition Coordinator will technically supervise the Area Health and Nutrition managers, as well as all health & nutrition staff (including project management and clinic staff) in all project sites in the state.
Health and Nutrition Programmes
• To maintain responsibility for the implementation, technical quality, budget management and integration of the North Darfur Primary Health Care programme including curative care (EPI, reproductive health, control of communicable disease) community health, and all components of Nutrition, including review of toolkits and guidance documents as required.
• Develop and manage work plans to ensure that health & nutrition activities are well-planned.
• To manage and support GOAL s Health & Nutrition team in North Darfur;
• Manage and support health & nutrition national NGO partners to implement, continuously building capacity and conduct performance appraisals at the appropriate time.
• To monitor and evaluate all PHC, CH and nutrition activities with programme managers and adapt interventions as necessary in line with MoH guidelines and other health service providers.
• To ensure all GOAL and MoH guidelines are adhered to and adapted as necessary.
• To ensure the timely collection, presentation, analysis and distribution of all data relating to the health department and submit weekly and monthly narrative reports and monthly HIS data spreadsheets.
• Support development of proposal narrative and budget documents for donor submission, working with the PQD and ACDP and technical Coordinators
• To liaise with the State Ministry of Health, Locality Health Department, UN agencies and other humanitarian actors to ensure appropriate provision of service and use of resources and to promote information sharing and cooperation.
• Coordinate with SMOH, LHD and Health actors in Kadugli and other localities in doing assessments to ascertain where and when the GOAL supporting a PHC programmes based on priority needs;
• To maintain up-to-date information on all aspects of health and Nutrition in the North Darfur area and pass on newly acquired information/guidelines to respective clinic coordinators and supervisors.
• To ensure that GOAL s PHC, community health and nutrition activities are well coordinated with other stakeholders in North Darfur, including through Cluster System and consultations with individual agencies.
• Participate in the federal level Health clusters and other relevant forums as requested by the ACDP, PQD or CD.
• To be fully conversant with all relevant GOAL proposals and develop, in conjunction with the ACDP and Program Coordinators
• Discuss and agree any changes in programming or project arrangements (including guidelines, protocols, forms and procedures) with the Health Coordinator prior to implementation.
• Assist the Khartoum team when requested to compile monthly, quarterly and annual data for donor report and final project report for submission.
• Ensure that any expenditure is within the programme budget and is planned in advance using PMP with the Financial Controller and Program Coordinators.
• Ensure proper mainstreaming of gender, environment and child protection across GOAL programmes, administration and communities, in coordination with other programme managers.
Requirements (Person Specification)
• Medical Doctor with at least 3 years experience in similar position in INGO project management
• MSc course in Public Health /Nutrition and relevant experience.
• Proven management/coordination experience with international organisations/agencies.
• Proven track record in developing the technical aspects of large scope health and nutrition proposal
• Experience of community nutrition programming
• Strong interpersonal and skills and ability to effectively work in a multi-cultural context.
• Experience in liaising with government officials, other NGOs, donors and UN agencies.
• Willingness to travel to remote areas of North Darfur State.
• Proven training and capacity building skills.
• Very enthusiastic and able to work extra hours to achieve the objectives of the programme.
• Fluency written and spoken English Appreciation of the aims and objectives of GOAL.
General Description of the Programme:
GOAL has been working in Sudan since 1985. GOAL is currently working directly in North Darfur and North Darfur States, managed by GOAL offices in these states and in Khartoum. The current GOAL program focuses on following sectors:; Primary Health Care, Nutrition, Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL).
In North Darfur, GOAL has programmes operation since 2003 and is expanding in 2020 into additional 2 more localities. GOAL provides support to health facilities and Outpatient Therapeutic Programme (OTP) sites integrated in health facilities, supporting staffing, training, drugs and medical supply chain, equipment and running costs. Supported clinics provide comprehensive basic healthcare services, including consultations, early warning and outbreak support, EPI, RH, To support the clinics, GOAL also works in communities promoting community health behaviour change. In addition, the programme aims to strengthen the health system in the state, working on Health Information System, Outbreak preparedness and early warning, medical supply chain management, and others.