The Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences, at the University of Wollongong in Dubai, seeks to appoint a dynamic and talented academic with expertise in one or many of the following areas: Artificial Intelligence, Data Mining, Data Sciences, Big Data, Robotics.
The Faculty of Engineering & Information Sciences brings together interdisciplinary academic disciplines, which include the areas of Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mobile Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology and Management, Engineering Management, and Asset Management. The structure of the Faculty has facilitated the development of interdisciplinary taught programs and research activity, in line with student interests, employer needs and both national and international trends.
Currently, the Faculty has over 45 academic and support staff. The Faculty offers a wide portfolio of courses which includes accredited BSc/BEng courses, a full-time and part-time MSc portfolio. All our courses are strongly linked to industry and commerce, and our graduates are highly regarded as innovative and well-rounded and hands- on people who can make an immediate contribution to their employer s business. Our engineering undergraduate courses are available with an Internship period in Industry. In addition, the Faculty offers a number of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) short courses aimed at practicing Engineers, Technologists and Scientists.
The successful candidate will join the university in September 2021.
About the Position:
We are seeking an experienced academic in the area of Artificial Intelligence having a PhD in the related field, from a recognized university. The position is offered at an Assistant Professor level, according to experience and qualification. It is a full-time position that requires the holder to contribute to the Faculty s teaching, research and governance activities.
The applicant is expected to have teaching experience in Artificial Intelligence, Data Mining, Data Sciences or Big Data at a recognized higher education institution, along with a record of scholarly research and high-quality publications in the relevant field. Industry experience or evidence of industry-academic collaborations would also be beneficial.
The post-holder will also be expected to supervise final year graduation projects, MSc projects and PhD Thesis. He/She will be expected to fully engage in scholarly and research activities within the thriving engineering team to produce high-impact research and deliver research-informed undergraduate and Master s level teaching. The applicant is expected to have an experience of involvement in collaborative research with external organizations, and have a strong track record for the dissemination of knowledge through recent publications in high impact international journals and international conferences.
As a Faculty member, you will have an excellent research track record and will be required to demonstrate research leadership from the outset. You will be expected to raise the profile of the Faculty through external networking, and producing high impact, high profile publications. In addition, you will be expected to seek to gain your own research funding to develop/expand your role within the university.
Qualifications and Requirements:
To qualify for the above role, candidate must have the following qualifications and experience:
• PhD. in Computer Science (or related discipline) from a recognized international academic institution
• Teaching experience at an internationally recognized institution in area related to Artificial Intelligence, Data Mining, Big Data, Data Sciences or Robotics.
• An active researcher in the field (or related field) with publications in recognized international journals
• Fluency in the English language (both spoken and written)
• Excellent communication skills
• Documented experience in the application of data science to Big Data problems
• Ability to have the foundations in the latest techniques to visualize and analyze data as well as the project skills to apply this knowledge in the real world
• Teaching and research experience in statistical theory and methods, data mining, text mining, neural networks, visualization, structured prediction, data engineering, Big Data analysis, econometric methods, probabilistic modelling and/or machine learning
• Experience with common data science toolkits i.e. R, Python, Numpy Scipy, scikit-learn, Pandas, matplotlibm NLTK, Pattern, Matlab, Weka, Keras, TensorFlow, PowerBI, Jupyter Notebook
• Experience with Hadoop, HBase, Spark and other Big data management technologies