The Buyer procures and purchases right materials, at right quantity, at right price and at optimal lead time. You will primarily be concerned with procurement of fabrics, trims, & accessories as per design needs and/or as per sample requirements received from merchandiser. You will also be concerned with identifying suitable suppliers for materials assessed on the basis of price, quality, reliability, time, and long-term business relations.
1. Planning for procurement of materials:
a) Work with team members and conduct general market research in various categories of garments.
b) Collect information about sourcing needs for materials like fabrics, trims and accessories from designing and merchandising department
c) Plan the procurement strategy
d) Identify suppliers for materials like fabrics, trims, and accessories etc.
e) Evaluate suppliers for the capability of supplying materials with respect to price, quality, quantity, etc.
f) Estimate lead time and the quantity with respect to material for procurement.
g) Negotiate with supplier to ensure the deal at a competitive price.
h) Assess, manage, and mitigate risks associated with the procurement.
i) Identify the changes of balance in buyer supplier power by analyzing the forecasting and the trend.
j) Monitor and forecast upcoming levels of demand.
k) Perform cost analysis and its benchmark.
2. Locating supplier for materials as per new items identified for procurement based on buyer sample, specifications and/or newly developed design sample:
a) Check for price, quality, reliability, and time for items and Comparative analysis of suppliers.
b) Compare suppliers on various index defined in a matrix like supplier
capability, lead time, cost, quality, potential to future needs etc.to seek a reliable supplier buyer partnership.
c) Identify and evaluate the logistic constraints related to procurement.
d) Ensuring a proper supplier contract is prepared covering important aspects such as returns, payment terms etc.
e) Follow-up with the supplier for delivery.
f) Supervise and ensure that the materials are delivered on time as per the supplier contract in the right quantity, quality etc.
3. Procedure for maintaining records and identifying and maintaining records for processes related to procurement:
a) Adhere to work instructions defined for maintaining records of internal and external communications.
b) Maintain updated records of approved vendors.
c) Maintain records related to communications with suppliers.
d) Maintain records related to interdepartmental communications for material requirements.
e) Maintain records related to complaints for purchased items and follow up for compensation/resolving issues.
Knowledge about the different types of natural & synthetic fibers including woven and knit fabrics and their trade names like georgette, chiffon, silk, cotton Lycra, cotton knit jersey, etc.
• Knowledge about different types of trimmings and accessories.
• Knowledge about the garment manufacturing process.
• Knowledge about negotiation skills.
• Basic mathematical knowledge of calculating the average requirement of fabrics, trims and accessories according to the style order received.
• Knowledge about supply chain management.
• Knowledge about national and international markets, prevailing prices, documents etc.
• Should have thorough knowledge of work process required to execute the assigned job.
• Demonstrate proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
• Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of service and response.
• Demonstrate ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment within the time frame.
• Abide by the working hours and make himself/herself available at the place of his work at the time specified for its commencement and shall not leave the work place before the specified closing time.
• Should demonstrate courteous behavior towards colleagues and superiors.
• Should respect Company policies and procedures.
Disclaimer: The job description is a brief outline of the basic responsibilities of the position at the time of preparation of the same and owing to the dynamic environment of the business, the activities could vary with time and market scenario. Therefore, this is not exhaustive list of activities for the above position and the job occupant may require performing additional activities in order to achieve the departmental or organizational goals.