Cash and Markets Adviser- Syria
Country: Jordan Location: Amman, with occasional travel to TurkeyReports to: GOAL Syria Deputy Programme Director, PQ and Technical with a technical reporting line to GOAL Global Cash Adviser
General Description of GOAL Syria s response
GOAL is an international emergency and development NGO dedicated to alleviating the suffering of the poorest and most vulnerable.; GOAL was established in 1977 and is currently operational in 13 countries world-wide. GOAL began operations within Northern Syria in 2012 responding to the acute needs of conflict affected communities with a support structure based in Turkey. GOAL has offices in Ankara, Hatay, and Gaziantep, Turkey and Amman, Jordan which support both the cross border and Turkey programming.
The scale and severity of humanitarian needs in Syria remains extensive. Household s needs are persistent due to the protracted conflict, waves of displacement, and an erosion of household s coping strategies. Conditions are expected to remain unstable and bring additional challenges to struggling communities, combined with the potential detrimental effects of COVID-19. GOAL s work in Northern Syria is primarily in Idleb and Northern Aleppo Governorates. The program has a heavy focus on Food Security, WASH, Livelihoods and Emergency response with a growing reliance on cash and voucher modalities. GOAL implements directly, with over 600 staff based in Syria working out of field offices in Idleb and Northern Aleppo, as well as implementing in adjacent geographical locations through Syrian NGO partners. GOAL s CVA (Cash & Voucher Assistance) response in Syria primarily consists of MPCA (Multi-Purpose Cash Assistance) and vouchers. GOAL is delivering a voucher-based response to approximately 35,000 households a month under the RESTORE Program. Currently, this uses a paper voucher system however it will transition to e-vouchers in September 2020.
Overview of the role
The Cash and Markets Adviser will be GOAL Syria s technical lead on markets-based programming approaches, including CVA. The person will be responsible for developing guidance, building capacity, and promoting strategic leadership on markets-based programming; as well as supporting the development and implementation of systematically quality CVA, whether delivered by GOAL or partner organisations.
The Cash and Markets Adviser has a direct reporting line to GOAL Syria s Programme Director and GOAL s Global Cash Adviser is the technical dotted line manager. The Cash and Markets Adviser- Syria will work closely with GOAL Syria s Senior CVA Coordinator, RESTORE Programme Director, Emergency Coordinator, WASH and Shelter Coordinators, Deputy Program Director PQ/technical as well as the Partnership Coordinator.
CVA implementation, adaption and preparedness
;Identify opportunities and ways forwards for programme strategy adaption and capacity support to integrate CVA into other GOAL Syria sectors beyond food security (such as WASH) and expanded use in emergency programming.
• Provide technical support to the Syria team on diversifying the market-based approaches to include other types of markets support interventions beyond CVA based on market functionality/access gaps.
• Supporting the roll out of the e-voucher across GOAL s programme portfolio, where appropriate (Food Security and Livelihoods, Emergency, WASH and Shelter) and documentation/sharing of its learning.
• Converting in-kind caseloads to CVA, where appropriate and relevant, through a modality review.
• Work closely with the HQ Emergency Response Unit and GOAL Syria colleagues on the integration of CVA in GOAL Syria preparedness planning and the implementation of subsequent CVA related actions.
• Undertake periodic review of the CVA workflow and adapt it accordingly with relevant programme tech coordinators.
• Develop/update CVA SoP s and work with colleagues to support understanding and compliance to them.
CVA programme support:
• Support on project proposals development, needs and markets assessment in relation to CVA.
• In collaboration with relevant stakeholders, undertake detailed needs and market assessment and analysis, and design appropriate project interventions to meet needs.
• For emergencies, in new areas lead or support the project design and start up.
• Identify approaches to strengthen GOAL Syria s CVA portfolio across programme sectors
• Participate in the recruitment of the technical team members (development of organizational charts, ToR, development and revision of tests, interviews, etc.) as requested.
Research and evidence:
• Document and share CVA evidence/learning to support programme quality, positioning GOAL as a strong CVA actor and inform CVA advocacy to policymakers.
• Lead on evidence generation/advocacy for the shift in strategy and approaches such as modality reviews.
• Keep GOAL Syria senior management and key internal CVA stakeholders informed of emerging CVA policy trends and learning.
;External and internal representation:
• Strategic engagement with relevant cash partners for partnership expansion in line of sight of GOAL s strategic objectives.
• Ensure GOAL s representation and active participation in the NW Cash Working Group Engagement in CaLP regional MENA and thematic CaLP working groups as well as cluster cash working groups, based on thematic priorities.
• Engage in GOAL s strategy around consortia, positioning GOAL as a cash focused agency
• Engage in GOAL s global CVA network and actively contribute knowledge, tools etc to the network, as well as lead on the roll out of GOAL s global CVA tools, policies, training etc. within GOAL Syria.
• Identify, build, and manage collaborative;partnerships with donors, local authorities, UN agencies and other stakeholders.
Capacity building and CVA risk management
• Supporting GOAL s existing partners in their cash strategy, oversight, capacity building and tools.
• Lead capacity strengthening initiatives in cash and markets programming for staff and partners through developing and facilitating training sessions and capacity building on CVA and markets-based programming to deepen understanding of roles/responsibilities and assist with career development.
• Support the GOAL Syria Program Director in reviewing, updating, and implementing the CVA risk, mitigation, and contingency matrix on a quarterly basis.
• Design, implement and monitor compliance to operations in CVA Programming.