The Classroom Assistant, under the supervision of the ECLC Head Teacher, is responsible for extending support in daily classroom activities and for directly participating with the children assigned to her classroom as well as the children in the after school program. The Classroom Assistant works closely with the ECLC Teachers to ensure that the children placed in the classroom receive high quality and age appropriate developmental care in a safe learning environment. The teaching assistant assists the teachers with the daily classroom maintenance in accordance with ECLC policies. Regular hours of employment will be 7.30 3.30, 5 days per week. However, a weekly rotational late duty assignment with working hours from 8:30-4:30 is also included.
Curriculum and Classroom Support
• Assist in the implementation of the ECLC Creative Curriculum which provides a developmentally appropriate program for children s physical, social, emotional, linguistic and cognitive development.
• Meet once a week with Lead teachers to discuss the weekly plan and objectives
• Assist in the preparation of any activities that are planned
• Assist with the organization of classroom bulletin boards
• Assist and maintain student files and portfolios
• Interact with and promote individual children s learning experiences for the day in dual language approach (Arabic /English).
• Interact with children in developmentally appropriate activities throughout the day.
• Check student communication diaries daily (see lead teachers for specific information pertaining to developmental levels). Lead/ Support teachers are in charge of any writing (requests, notes, messages)
• Maintain and manage the children s personal effects and alert the Lead Teachers when further supplies are required.
• Maintain a safe, attractive, and organized classroom environment with a range of age appropriate toys and materials in accordance with the Creative Curriculum.
• Utilize positive guidance techniques when communicating with the children.
• Support group circle time as well as small group activities, projects, games, etc.
Communication and Administrative Tasks
• Communicate effectively and respectfully to the staff and parents of the Early Childhood Learning Center s students.
• Consult the Lead/ Support Teacher regarding any specific child needs and requirements before initiating any conversation with the parents.
• Communicate concerns and issues about the children to the Lead Teachers.
• Pack children belongings (communication book, child personal belongings, memos, letters or any other items as directed by teachers).
• Under the direction of the Lead/Support teachers, arrange the classrooms bulletin boards, decoration, laminations, photocopying, organize furniture and toys, to ensure an appropriate learning environment.
• Maintain confidentiality pertaining to information on all children and families
• Attend all required meetings and training sessions.
• Support the ECLC team in all functions, activities and required tasks.
Health, Safety and Hygiene
Ensure the basic needs of the children (toileting, resting, and hygiene) are met in an efficient, ethical and respectful manner.
• Toileting/diapering - See Lead teachers and Head Nurse for specific information pertaining to the age group.
• Outdoor Supervision maintain vigilance at all times when supervising the children to ensure safety. Remind children to take regular water breaks while playing outdoors; especially during the hot months.
• Maintain cleanliness of classroom toys and resources, making sure to clean and sanitize toys regularly (see lead teachers for specifics pertaining to the grade level)
Ensure that lunch, and snacks are served according to regulations and use mealtimes to foster communication among the children, reinforce manners, and communicate with the children about nutrition and healthy eating habits.
• Maintain the Healthy Eating and Hygiene Standards with children
• Encourage the students to eat their healthy snack/lunch
• Help tidy up the eating area after the children are finished
Degree of Independence/Complexity of Environment:
• Sound judgment and patience in dealing with children.
• Ability to multi-task and manage simultaneous tasks ensuring timely and effectively delivery.
• Must function effectively as a team member demonstrating flexibility.
Must possess a Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education with previous experience in working with young children (aged 6 months 4 years) or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
• Training in Child Care, First Aid, etc.
• Ability and commitment to work beyond traditional working hours and schedule.
• Ability to utilize effective and clear communication with colleagues and children.
Experience working in the academic environment preferred.
• Bilingual (English/Arabic) preferred.