Performs a wide variety of laboratory chemical, microscopic and/or bacteriologic tests to obtain data for use in diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
• Working in Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare Clinical Laboratory Services Section/Medical & Technical Support Services department in Dhahran, Al Hasa, Ras Tanura, Abqaiq and Udhailiyah (HA, RT, ABQ and UDH) under direction and supervision of Clinical Laboratory Technologist Specialist.
• Technologists deal with infectious samples, examining microorganisms for medical purposes while exercising the best safety measures to minimize the risk of any hazardous accidents.
• Dhahran Medical Technologist may rotate through the various areas within the laboratory in order to be familiar with the different lab procedures/tests performed throughout the lab especially when working shifts.
• District Medical Technologist performs a variety of clinical tests in a combination of areas of specialization.
Has daily direct contact with triage/collection lab for specimen collection, and with physicians/nurses or other healthcare workers such as infection control and epidemiology in order to collaborate results and attend to questions/concerns about specimens, communicable/reportable diseases and laboratory reports. Report to Technical Supervisor.
• All techs should be familiar with Laboratory interface system (LIS), daily Quality Control (QC), Calibration and Preventive Maintenance (PM) activities along with basic troubleshooting of instruments.
• Responsible for the operation and maintenance of instrumentation as assigned.
• Performs monitoring, recording waste and inventory of supply items.
• Performs and effectively evaluates & documents the quality control for each procedure performed.
• Demonstrates general knowledge and understanding of QC by effectively using the appropriate QC guidelines and follow up.
• Responsible for performing and reporting internal and external proficiency following the same guidelines and care used with patient specimens.
• Maintaining and operating standard laboratory equipment, for example Centrifuges and pipettes.
• Performs all functions that are required for the laboratory to maintain and meet the standards specified by accrediting agencies such as College of American Pathologists (CAP), Joint Commission International (JCI) , American Association for Blood Bank (AABB), Saudi Central Board for Accreditation of Healthcare Institutions(CBAHI)
• Maintains clean and sanitary work area in accordance with standard laboratory practice and procedures.
Principal Duties (cont'd)
• Helps in recruiting, registering and scheduling volunteer blood donors.
• Screens and draws Whole Blood donors (including Therapeutic, Autologus and Directed) in accordance with the standards of the American Association of Blood Banks and established JHAH Operating Manuals.
• Screens and performs Platelet Apheresis procedures in accordance with the standards of the American Association of Blood Banks and established JHAH Operating Manuals.
• Be familiar with the guidelines for the recognition and treatment of various donor reactions.
• Processes whole blood units into various blood components in accordance to the operation demands.
• Performs all the blood bank required testing on donated units.
• Prepares donor s specimens that should be tested in different lab sections.
• Performs all the required pre-transfusion patients testing. This includes, but not limited to, blood type, antibody screen, antibody identification, Direct Antiglubuin Testing and crossmatch etc.
• Performs CAP surveys when assigned by the lab manager.
• Participates in training new hire employees, internship and summer students.
• Enters all donors and patient testing/information in blood bank information testing.
• Participates in all planned and unplanned drills and safety inspections.
• Helps in method s and instrument s validations.
Principal Duties (cont'd)
Other if applicable:
• LIS Functions: Must have full knowledge and proficiency on the day to day LIS functionalities employed in the section such as MEM, OEM, OER, PL, MIQ, IQ, REI, Transfusion and Donor Processing, etc. Train the new-hires on the LIS functionalities used in the section as deem necessary.
• Comply with the applicable JHAH Safety rules and policies, standard precautions and maintain safe work practices at all times.
• Report injuries, spills, unsafe conditions, near misses and incidents immediately.
• Maintain knowledge of Safety requirements including Emergency Response actions, Fire Training, mandatory Safety courses, BLS certification and participate in all required Safety drills
Bachelor's degree in medical technology or science program accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) is required.
• Minimum of 2 years technical experience in Clinical laboratory.
• Experience in basic laboratory practices including safety.
• Completion of 1 year internship
Certification/Other requirements as applicable
• Saudi Commission for health specialties Licensure requirement must be met.
• All medical technologists must be certified through the Board of Certification (BOC)
• Good communication in oral and written English.
• Good understanding of Clinical lab standards and policies.
• Good computer skills.
• Thorough knowledge of company policies and procedures, statistics and JHAH emergency disaster plans and response.
• Acceptable level of analytical ability in order to complete tasks assigned, gather and interpret data from different courses, and resolve problems.
• Must be qualified for the required Medical License.
• Willing to work shift pattern as required (day, evening, night).
• Willing to work overtime if required.
• Flexible, and willing to work in any Clinical laboratory District wide (HA, RT, ABQ and UDH)