Clinical Pharmacy Specialist
King Faisal Specialist Hospital - Madinah
Madinah, Saudi Arabia
The Clinical Pharmacy Specialist serves as a pharmaceutical caregiver by efficiently designing, recommending, activating, monitoring, and evaluating patient-specific pharmacotherapy to ensure optimal outcomes. Ensures implementation of the pharmaceutical care plan by assuring the accurate and timely distribution of medications to patients. Maintains liaison relations with medical and nursing staff. Serves as a clinical resource for other pharmacy personnel, medical and nursing staff, as well as other healthcare professionals. The assigned team/medical service may be involved with the annual evaluation of the clinical pharmacist.
Education / Qualification Required:
• Doctor or Master's degree of Clinical Pharmacy from an accredited college of
• Pharmacy; or Pharm Degree from North America, Western Europe, New Zealand or Australia.
• General Pharmacy Practice Residency and one-year specialty residency accredited by ASHP,
• 6 years of clinical experience in a hospital setting after completion of the last education program is required for candidates without residency training.
• For those with General Pharmacy Practice Residency only, 4 years clinical experience.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provides in-depth pharmaceutical care to an adult or pediatric service by participating in patient care
• rounds with medical team, maintain outstanding skills as a clinical pharmacy practitioner and consistently demonstrates the value of pharmacy services within the integrated pharmacy model
• Assists medical staff with the selection of drug therapy and patient monitoring.
• Reviews and interprets medication orders for clarity, accuracy, rationality, compatibility, feasibility, and suitability for the patient's specific needs.
• Assumes responsibility for patient-specific pharmacotherapy plan to ensure optimal outcomes.
• Develops and evaluates therapeutic protocols.
• Conducts daily systematic medication reviews for patients in other floors other than the floor covered by the clinical pharmacy consultant, whenever assigned.
• Participates in committees relevant to areas of service.
• Enters and processes medication orders whenever scheduled to do so by the Head of assigned section or whenever the need arises.
• Determines workload priorities, verifies medication orders, checks the final product for accuracy, and assures timely delivery of the medications to the patient care area.
• Acts as drug information and education resource for patients, students, colleagues, medical and nursing staff, and other healthcare professionals.
• Documents therapeutic recommendations in the patient's medical record and pharmacy intervention forms conducts Medication Utilization Evaluation (MUE) projects.
• Provides real-time collaboration with nurses to create cost-effective medication care plans; focusing on medication misadventure prevention.
• Detects, analyzes, and reports adverse drug reactions.
• Assures adherence to the departmental policies and clinical activities and other relevant workload statistics.
• Contributes to positive outcomes and meeting the cultural expectations of the organization by exhibiting professional behavior and expertise.
• Provides patient medication education as primary responsibility as assigned.
• Participates in the departmental performance improvement, educational, and other clinical activities.
• Participates in self and others education, training, and development as applicable.
• Follows all related General Organization's policies and procedures.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.