Position CONSULTANT (INTERNAL MEDICINE- Preferably with UK CCT/American Board/Canadian Board)
Reports to: Head of Department
Responsible for: Performing wide range of activities including consultation, follow-ups, attending emergency, processors and overall management of patient care.
Internal Liaises with: All member of the multi – disciplinary team
External Liaises with: Outside community agencies as required, government and private healthcare facilities
Being one of the clinical roles within the Clinical Services of the hospital, the position will require a person who has practiced for at least 5 years after a post highest education qualifications and who has had international healthcare and academic experience. It is a pivotal role in the establishment of services at the hospital to ensure services are at an International standard and to meet and exceed accreditation standards. The Doctor should obtain the appropriate evaluation/License.
Summary of Main Duties and Responsibilities-
• Admitting patients to hospital and ensuring that full admission documentation (history and physical, Admission note and initial integrated plan) are recorded.
• Ordering treatments and medications.
• Initiating appropriate investigations.
• Liaising with Non-clinical/Clinical staff.
• Conducting ward rounds at least once daily and as appropriate.
• Preparing for and participating in consultant/specialist rounds.
• Keeping daily records of inpatient progress.
• Attending specified clinics.
• Following up patients in both inpatient and outpatient settings.
• Following up the results of investigations and adjusting patient treatment/management accordingly.
• Preparing patients for procedures or surgery, where applicable.
• Obtaining patients informed consent or applicable.
• Performing invasive procedures/surgery in accordance with privileges.
• Receiving calls and seeing patients from the Emergency Department and specialty clinics.
• Receiving calls and consultation requests from other departments or hospitals.
• Seeing patients referred for consultation.
• Maintaining a good working relationship and professional conduct with all members of the staff and hospital staff.
• Providing on call coverage on a rotational basis during evenings, nights, weekends, and Public Holidays, as required.
• Maintaining and completing appropriate medical records for all patients in a timely fashion.
• Participating in medical staff conferences, meetings and serve on hospital Committees, as requested.
• Assuming other duties as may be assigned by the department head.
• Carrying out the duties and responsibilities detailed in any department specific job description or statement of roles and responsibilities.
• Participation in administration and compliance with JCI procedures and regulatory requirements.
• Encourage multi-disciplinary teamwork
• Disseminate and implement hospital’s policies & procedures.
• Participate in Quality improvement activities meeting JCI & regulatory requirements.
• Implementing clinical pathway/Guideline or applicable.