Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi is located on Al Maryah Island, the heart of Abu Dhabi's new central business district. It shares the island with a hotel, stock exchange, and office buildings. Access to the island is by multiple bridges to the mainland. Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi is a unique and unparalleled extension of the Cleveland Clinic model of care, providing a spectrum of specialty services that are designed to cater to the healthcare needs of Abu Dhabi and the region. One of the objectives of Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi is to address the needs of patients currently traveling abroad for treatment. Like its counterpart in the United States, Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi is a physician-led medical facility, served by Western-trained, North American board-certified (or equivalent) physicians. Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi offers the most advanced tertiary medical services in the region through a comprehensive range of specialties and subspecialties. Local and international patients are cared for in an environment that combines excellent amenities and service standards with the highest quality patient care and superior clinical outcomes. The hospital is designed to offer state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment capabilities, and to utilize advanced technologies in surgery, imaging, telemedicine, and electronic medical records.
Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi is one of a number of initiatives led by Mubadala Healthcare.
For information about Mubadala Healthcare, click here.
Estimated Service Area
This strategically located multi-specialty tertiary care facility with adjacent clinic houses five clinic floors, three diagnostic and treatment levels, and thirteen floors of critical and acute inpatient units totaling 364 beds (expandable to 490). Additional space has been incorporated for operational and support departments, retailers, a conference center, and a high-fidelity clinical simulation center. Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi hosts the latest technologies in surgery, imaging, telemedicine, and electronic medical records, integrating systems in a manner that is first of its kind in the country and the Middle East healthcare region. State-of-the-art imaging equipment like CTs, MRIs, and procedural suites, along with technologically advanced and modern patient rooms, serve local and international patients in an environment that combines excellent amenities with world-class medical care.
Number of Beds
364 beds (expandable to 490)
Any application submitted without a CV will not be considered.
Please be advised that all information entered in your application will only be shared with Cleveland Clinic and will not be distributed to third parties.
Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi seeks an internationally recognized and visionary leader to head the clinical, operational, educational, and research activities of the Department of General Surgery in the Digestive Disease Institute. The Chair will direct leadership in the Department to work in accordance with the strategic goals and mission of Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi and the Cleveland Clinic worldwide programs. The successful candidate will build upon the current robust clinical growth with expansion into new service lines, promote research development and infrastructure, support academic training programs for students, residents, and fellows; all within the context of a healthcare network focused on placing patient care first.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop and implement a vision for the Department of General Surgery, including clinical, operational, educational, and academic goals.
• Work with Section Heads within Department to further develop service lines of Hepato-pancreaticobiliary, Oncology, Foregut, Bariatric, Colorectal, Endocrine, and General Surgery.
• Support interdisciplinary approaches to patient care with Nursing, Dietician, and Wound Care teams.
• Promote patient first ethos of care.
• Enhance educational programs for students, residents, and fellows, within and outside the Department of General Surgery.
• Create sustainable and conscientious clinical programs that offer newest most efficacious therapies across General Surgery.
• Possess collaborative mindset and have excellent communication skills to work with a physician and non-physician team from around the world.
• Establish individual career development trajectories for clinicians, including academic promotion through the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine.
• Participate in Institute-level discussion with Digestive Disease Institute Chair, Chair of Gastroenterology, Administrators, and Nursing leadership to develop goals and accomplish targets for the Department and Institute.
• Align with cultural priorities established by Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi, Mubadala, and United Arab Emirates overall strategies for talent development and promotion.
• Recruit and retain a world-class cohort of surgeons, like-minded in clinical excellence, education, and research.
• Take a leadership role among other Department Chairs at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi in operational, quality, and educational initiatives.
• Promote the core Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi principles of "listening to the voice of the patients, growing sustainably, and taking care of each other."
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• Experience requirements are set by the Health Authority of Abu Dhabi and Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi bylaws.
• To view the Professional Qualification Requirements set by the Health Authority of Abu Dhabi, please click http://www.haad.ae/HAAD/tabid/927/Default.aspx
• Please Note: According to Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi bylaws, only physicians with qualifications from Tier I countries and the following Tier II counties will be considered for Institute Chair Physician opportunities: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Spain and Switzerland
• MBA is preferred
• Must hold a valid License/ Registration to practice in their home country and/or country of last employment (where applicable)
• Should meet the Maintenance of Certification requirements (where applicable)
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage a team of health care professionals
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients and staff
• Ability to speak and write in English is required
• Ability to speak and write in both English and Arabic is preferred