The Desk Officer is responsible for representing field offices in HQ, ensuring the effective flow of information between Head Office and the country programmes and providing overall programme support including administrative and quality backstopping services (particularly around grant and contract management).
This includes facilitating the provision of wider Head Office support to the Country Director and senior in-country team for the effective implementation of the country;programme.
At Head Office and at international level, the Desk Officer is the first point of contact for all information on assigned country;programmes. Specifically, the Desk Officer will:
• Facilitation, Coordination and Representation: representing Country Offices (COs) in HQ; serving as the primary link between COs, Regions and HQ Departments; listening to the field and coordinating between HQ departments to ensure the provision of coherent, targeted support; representing COs and GOAL in institutional donors events and meetings.
• Lead grant and contract management: providing grant performance and contract management oversight of the GOAL Global grant portfolio including institutional and private donors, trust and foundations and on-granting partners. Leading on governance for high risk projects.
• Facilitate Country Strategic Management: coordinating and facilitating the development and roll out of Country Strategic Plans (CSPs) and Annual Country Plans (ACPs) and supporting other annual strategic processes as beneficial.
• Support Business Development: contributing to the development and roll out of funding strategies, highlighting new opportunities and coordinating pre-positioning, contributing to the PRC processes, supporting proposal development and reviewing and submitting proposals to donors.
• Lead on GOAL s field information management: optimising GOAL s information management via the maintenance of the grant management system (GMS) feeding into various Power Bi dashboards, coordinate input and produce bi-weekly CO updates summaries, keep country information updated on website and various SharePoint products.
• Facilitation and coordination of information flow between Country Offices, Regional Directors and HQ Departments
• Maintain routine communications with the field (weekly calls, etc.) staying abreast, following up on, communicating/escalating and advising on key issues as appropriate.
• Facilitate routine HQ Regional cross-functional meetings and input to other Programme Operation Department meetings and field facing fora as required.
• Produce fortnightly CO activity summaries and disseminate to key stakeholders on the global level, providing feedback to the field on issues for follow up.
• Facilitate the quarterly field risk management process in conjunction with RDs and .
• Internal and external representation
• Represent GOAL s operations and country programmes in internal fora as required.
• Make Country Offices and grant portfolio information accessible for internal use or external engagement (preparing briefs for instance).
• Conduct monitoring and support visits to country offices to increase knowledge of the operational context and connectivity between HQ and the field as possible and appropriate.
• GOAL Global Portfolio Grant Management;
• Provide comprehensive contract management services from HQ including leading the completion of multi-departmental donor contract, report and proposal checklists, facilitating signatures, undertaking administrative backstopping, ensuring adherence to reporting schedules, ongoing communication with the donor, etc.
• Develop report submission guidelines for key donors.
• Support grant management as required.
• Oversee on-grated partners compliance including leading the completion and review of partner framework agreements.
• Supprot partners due diligence as required.
• Facilitate strategic management and annual operational planning processes in-country
• Facilitate the annual strategic planning processes and provide direct support to the field for annual strategic planning as possible.
• Support quarterly annual strategy reviews and present / disseminate outcomes and key points with stakeholders.
• In concert with the Director of Strategy, field offices and senior management, facilitate / contribute to the multi-year strategic planning process and provide direct support to the field for same as possible.
• Contribute and support the submission of high-quality proposals
• Ensure proposals are submitted on time, in good quality and in compliance with criteria of the donor.
• Represent country proposals at global and regional Project Review Committee meetings.
• Provide support to country resource development processes as useful and requested by Country Directors, contributing to the development and management of funding strategies, reviewing specific opportunities as requested, occasionally leading document development, etc.
• Lead grants information management and contribute to strengthening GOAL s knowledge management initiatives.
• Maintain relevant information of GOAL portfolio updated and accurate across Ops platforms (GMS, SharePoint, PowerBI)
• Keep updated Country Office information on the Operations page of GOAL SharePoint site and externally facing website.
• Coordinate with the MEAL Department to support their information and learning products.
• Work with MEAL, the Programmes Tech Team and other relevant teams to develop and implement an organisation wide approach to learning.
• A Bachelors degree in a relevant subject.
• A minimum of two years experience working in an NGO in a humanitarian, field-based context. Further field or HQ based experience an advantage, particularly in programmes focused roles.
• Demonstrable experience in donor relationship management, including grant management, proposal and report writing, ideally within the development context and/or with GOAL s key institutional donors in the Middle East (USAID, OFDA, FFP, DFID, ECHO, UN). Familiarity with key donor priorities and grant implementation, monitoring and evaluation guidelines.
• Strong understanding of the Middle East with a focus on the Syria crisis; academic study or experience working / living in the Middle East an advantage.
• Experience in administration with demonstrable capacity for delivering accurate work on time in a dynamic and multi-priority context.
• Appreciation of the aims and objectives of GOAL.
• Adept in use of Word, Excel, PowerPoint.