Director of Library Services
The American University in Dubai invites qualified applicants to apply for the position of Director of Library Services.
The fundamental responsibility of this position is to administer the Library and deliver service to students, faculty and
other users in an efficient manner.
The director of Library Services provides leadership in planning, managing the budget, implementing and evaluating
all services, reviewing the status of the physical facilities, and supervising the library staff of the American University
in Dubai. Implements best practices and latest trends in librarianship and in technology and as appropriate to the
• Directs library operations and manages and supervises library faculty and staff;
• Develops short- and long-term plans for the library and related goals and objectives consistent with
the university’s and library's mission;
• Consults with university faculty to determine library resources and service needs of academic
programs and departments;
• Responsible for overall collection development and delegates specific areas of collection
development to the librarians, and participates, when possible, in bibliographic instruction and
• Keeps up-to-date with the library and information product and services industry and meets regularly
with publishers and library service providers;
• Prepares the library budget and manages expenditures in the Library's annual operating budget, in
consultation with the Chief Financial Officer, and makes necessary decisions to effectively spend
the budget in the face of competing needs;
• Serves as the chief advocate and spokesperson for the library
• Assesses quality and effectiveness of programs and services and supports accreditation and
• Prepares reports, survey information, and other documents necessary to meet the library's
reporting obligation to the Library Advisory Committee, University Offices (Institutional
Effectiveness, Provost, President) and other academic and administrative bodies;
• Serves on university committees for curriculum and research governance
• Works with Central Services to coordinate maintenance and modifications to the Library building.
• Build professional librarian networks appropriate to the academic mandate
General Competencies and Skills:
• Leadership Skills - Displays effectiveness in communication, motivation, and directing others’ work.
• Planning Skills - Plans and organizes work effectively by setting goals, prioritizing tasks, and
• Fiscal Management - Demonstrates sound fiscal oversight through budgeting, managing accounts,
and controlling expenses.
• Cooperation with individuals supervised - Listens to suggestions or complaints, displays sensitivity,
and is approachable by subordinates.
• Conflict Resolution Skills - Exhibits skill in addressing and resolving workplace conflicts.
• Mentoring Skills - Encourages and coaches staff in a positive manner and fosters staff
• Service Orientation - Exhibits a 'customer friendly' demeanor with internal and external customers.
• Teamwork - Works effectively with other employees, e.g., other managers or supervisors
Library-specific Competencies and skills:
• Knowledge and experience of best practices in Cataloguing and Classification
• Knowledge and experience in Electronic Resource Management
• Knowledge and experience of library platform services and content hosting platforms
• Knowledge of library products, vendors and publishers