The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is a leading research institute based at the Economics Department at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology that conducts randomized evaluations to understand the impact of development and poverty-reduction policies. Its mission is to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by rigorous evidence and research is translated into action. وتحقيقا لهذه الغاية, ي-PAL works with NGOs, international organizations, المؤسسات الحكومية, and others to rigorously evaluate programs and disseminate the results of high-بحوث الجودة.
to date, ي-PAL affiliated professors have completed or ongoing projects in over 80 countries. ي-PAL has been working in Egypt since 2015, conducting randomized evaluations in sectors including labor markets, الشمول المالي, and social protection. More information about J-PAL s work globally and in Egypt can be found online at www.povertyactionlab.org .
About the J-صديق/AUC Initiative for Egypt
ي-PAL and AUC began collaborating in 2015 and formalized a partnership to create the J-صديق/AUC Initiative for Egypt in 2018. The Initiative works to improve the effectiveness of social programs in Egypt and across the region. The office offers technical and program implementation support to J-PAL affiliated researchers undertaking randomized evaluations in the country and the region; trains and builds the capacity of local researchers to conduct randomized evaluations; and disseminates research results and collaborates with policymakers to integrate findings into current and future development policies and programs.
If you are excited about the opportunities and challenges of supporting and developing a cutting-edge research and policy center from its early stages, leading development of systems and internal policies for the Initiative while collaborating with staff at one of Egypt s leading universities, please read on for more details and to apply.
Finance and Operations Manager Job Description
This position is a mix of financial and operational management, with a healthy dose of strategic and policy work on internal operations and practices.
Financial Management (40% time)
Manage the finances of a donor-funded research and policy outreach center, working with staff on proposals, donors on funding needs, and internal resources for spending management, مراقبة, والتقارير. وتشمل واجبات محددة:
• إدارة متعددة-year budgets for the J-صديق/AUC Initiative for Egypt, track results, anticipate problems and develop solutions, and report regularly to the Senior Research and Policy Manager, MENA Initiative Director, and J-PAL Global Finance and Operations Director;
• Support fundraising through development of donor-specific budgets, demonstrating value to donors while supporting the Initiative s sustainability. Brief funders on Initiative financial strategies as needed;
• Coordinate with the AUC Office of Sponsored Programs and ensure that all proposal budgets meet the university requirements;
• Working with AUC, maintain a system of financial control that meets University and donor requirements for transparency and responsible management of resources;
• Report regularly to J-PAL grant managers and faculty leads on grant financials and advising on necessary alterations to budget;
• Ensure that staff effort is appropriately allocated to grants and that funds from grants are used in accordance with grant terms;
• Contribute to the timely assembly and submission of proposals that meet J-PAL s standards and donor requirements for submission;
• Develop strategies that work to minimize financial risk; and
• With AUC guidance, ensure compliance with all statutory requirements relating to financial control, إدارة مالية, والمحاسبة.
Operational Management (40% time)
Manage all operational aspects of a growing office, including office space and furnishings, إدارة المرافق, Meeting Management, أحداث خاصة, وهكذا دواليك. Specific examples include:
• Working with AUC procurement and contracting staff, manage procurement of goods and services and manage vendor relationships;
• Support knowledge management systems for the office, including standardizing file location, اكسس, and retention practices;
• Support events carried out by the project like conferences and academic meetings. Assist with logistics and cost control;
• Liaise with AUC and the J-PAL Global Office to ensure the optimal operation of office computers and telecommunications systems;
• Proactively identify needs for as well as procure day-إلى-day office materials;
• Work closely with the Initiative staff to finalize MoUs and contracts with partners and donors; and
• Orient Initiative staff on how to use AUC financial and administration forms.
General support (20% time)
Work with the Initiative Director on various projects that support the smooth functioning of the office, support staff and projects, and responsibly manage funds.
• درجه البكالوريوس, ماجيستير, or professional certification preferred;
• ما لا يقل عن 8 سنوات من الخبرة ذات الصلة. Experience in a consulting firm, academic setting, or medium-الحجم, innovative firm would be particularly appropriate;
• Strong interpersonal skills and analytical abilities;
• Demonstrated team management experience and leadership skills; and
• Experience with financial management/accounting software is expected.