Glass Worker – Job Description
1) Cut, assemble, fit, and attach metal-framed glass enclosures for display cases.
2) Install pre-assembled metal or wood frameworks for windows or doors to be fitted with glass panels, using hand tools.
3) Load and arrange glass and mirrors onto delivery trucks, using suction cups or cranes to lift glass.
4) Operate cranes or hoists with suction cups to lift large, heavy pieces of glass. (Not essential, but any vehicle/machine operating licence is preferred).
5) Set glass doors into frames, and bolt metal hinges, handles, locks, and other hardware to attach doors to frames and walls.
6) Cut and attach mounting strips, metal or wood mouldings, rubber gaskets, or metal clips to surfaces in preparation for mirror installation.
7) Secure mirrors in position, using mastic cement, putty, bolts, or screws.
8) Cut and remove broken glass prior to installing replacement glass.
9) Grind and polish glass, and smooth edges when necessary.
10) Measure and mark outlines or patterns on glass to indicate cutting lines.
11) Measure, cut, fit, and press anti-glare adhesive film to glass, or spray glass with tinting solution to prevent light glare.
12) Prepare glass for cutting by resting it on rack edges or against cutting tables, and brushing thin layer of oil along cutting lines or dipping cutting tools in oil.
13) Read and interpret blueprints and specifications to determine size, shape, colour, type, and thickness of glass, location of framing, installation procedures, and staging and scaffolding materials required.
14) Create patterns on glass by etching, sandblasting, or painting designs.
15) Must be able to use some or all of the below machines:
Glass straight line edge grinding machine.
Glass Lamination Machine.
Glass Drilling Machine.
Glass straight line Multi edge grinding machine.
Glass Shape polishing machine.
Sand blasting machine.
Glass Washing machine (Italian).
Glass polishing machine by belt.
Edge reclaiming machine.
Glass horizontal band saw.