The Guidance Counselor is in charge of providing students with counseling and support on academic and career matters. He/she guides and assists students as they plan their future academic and career choices. The Guidance Counselor is the key reference in the school on matters pertaining to local and international colleges and universities and has full knowledge of the requirements of these institutions related to student admissions.
Most importantly, the Guidance Counselor tracks and monitors the performance of students in their senior classes in the school and intervenes to align student performance with institutional requirements.
Note: This position may not be open currently, however, the HR department at AMSI continues to accept CVs in case the position becomes available.
1. Minimum Bachelor s Degree from an accredited university or a combination of related degree and experience. A relevant advanced (graduate or post-graduate) degree is an added advantage
2. 3 years or more years of experience in a similar position in the same or similar curriculum schools preferably in a multi-cultural setting
3. Outstanding interpersonal, counseling and communication skills
4. Excellent written and oral communication skills
5. Advanced computer skills supporting this type of work, including and not limited to word processing tools, spreadsheets, and presentation tools
6. Highly developed organizational and planning skills, including managing time, competing priorities and resources in a structured way
7. Ability to establish credibility within the whole school community
8. Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with students, parents, and local and international organizations
1. Plans and implements a guidance and counseling program that is aligned with the school s guiding statements.
2. Maintains updated records of students in their senior years, including information such as: bio, contact information, results of standardized assessments, record of academic performance, university plans/selection, etc. and treats this information with confidentiality.
3. Supports the SLT in the administration of standardized exams and other benchmark tests and provides information on the guidance program as required.
4. Analyzes students results on standardized exams (PSAT, SAT, TOEFL, IELTS, etc.) and provides feedback and recommendations to students on further steps.
5. Conducts individual and group counseling to students based on requests from Heads of Sections.
6. Stays up-to-date with new information related to his/her area of work through readings, conferences, and other means of training and knowledge acquisition and transfers this knowledge to members of the academic staff on a regular basis.
7. Provides full access to an extensive database of contacts with leading universities around the world.
8. Ensures that students meet all deadlines and requirements in their application process to local and international colleges and universities.
9. Liaises with parents and students to provide best counseling and support in preparation for university.
10. Assists students in the process of applying to universities and streamlining their applications and document collection including preparing transcripts, recommendations, etc.
11. Researches and provides information to students about funding options including scholarships, grants, etc.
12. Establishes and maintains excellent working relationships with universities and colleges both locally and internationally
13. Organizes a yearly career and university fair, attracting representatives from universities and colleges both locally and around the world.
14. Initiates guidance and career planning for students as of grade 9.
15. Performs counselling with different groups of students including students of determination and those who are gifted and talented.
16. Monitors report cards of students to evaluate the academic and personal progress.
17. Gathers and record all information relevant to Individualized Educational Plans and Advanced Learning Plans meetings regarding the student s eligibility, manifestations, placement and annual review and monitoring in order to prepare them for university and college admission.