The Head Nurse- OR consults with the Area Supervisor concerning administrative, professional and clinical issues, and assumes operational responsibility of Operating Room, Recovery Room and Cesarean Section OR. Directs and supervises activities, interprets and implements policies/procedures and standards as per the ACI & JCIA recommendations and Ministry of Health regulations as appropriate.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Directs and supervises Nursing services personnel within the OR suite in accordance with the Hospital, governmental bodies (MOH) and other regulatory standards.
• Prepares work schedules and assigns personnel. Evaluates work performance and makes recommendations.
• Conducts daily inspection of assigned patient care areas for compliance with policies, procedures, regulations, infection control and risk management standards, and takes corrective actions/ makes recommendations where violations occur in order to rectify the situation.
• Directs maintenance of departmental facilities, equipment, supplies and materials to promote efficiency, health, comfort, and safety of patients and staff.
• Ensures availability of adequate supply of consumable and non-consumable for patient care requirement, through a systematic inventory and ordering process.
• Establishes and maintains inventories of equipment and other supplies, and ensures that par levels are maintained.
• Maintains a safe, comfortable and therapeutic environment for patients and families in accordance with Hospital standards.
• Ensures accurate maintenance of patients medical records and confidentiality of information contained therein.
• Prepares written documentation as required by the Nursing department, and maintains appropriate records and statistics as directed.
• Maintains a comprehensive and up-to-date index or profile of all attending surgeons preferences.
• Formulates departmental monthly report as directed by the Department.
• Assists in the preparation of the fiscal budget and makes appropriate recommendation.
• Contributes in the implementation of total Quality Management Programmes aimed at best practice methods within a climate of customer focus.
• Consults with Nursing Administration concerning management of assigned areas and all related matters.
• Participates in the development and implementation of departmental goals & objectives, philosophy and mission statement.
• Provides staff development and education programmes in consultation with Area Nursing Supervisor & Nursing Director.
• Assists in the process of selection, orientation and training, and initiates performance evaluation of Department personnel.
• Performs other related duties as assigned by the Nursing Supervisor.
KEY CONTACTS INTERNAL:
• Visiting Doctors/Other NMH Physicians
• Heads of other Departments
• Medical Services Staff (Lab., Pharmacy, Radiology etc.)
• Support Service Staff (Reception, Dietary, HK etc.)
• Patient Relatives and Friends
JOB REQUIREMENTS Education : Bachelor s Degree/Diploma in Nursing preferably with Post Basic/Graduate Certificate/Diploma in Operating Room Technique Current CPR/BLS certification. 1st Line Management Certificate/Diploma and/or current PALS certification is an advantage. Licensing: Valid License from Ministry of Health to work as a Registered Nurse.
7 years clinical experience, preferable with 5 years in Operating Room Service facility.
3 years work experience as a Head/In-charge and /or 2 years in a supervisory post. Service for more than 5 years in NMH is preferred.
Technical: Knowledge and proficiency in fundamental nursing procedures such as IV Therapy, ECG vitals, medication administration and drug calculation, proper wound management, naso-gastric tube insertion, documentation, etc. Knowledge of sterilization techniques, safety measures, good hygiene, environmental sanitation and infection control standards. Acquainted in different medical apparatus or equipment.
. Administrative Skills: Decision Making and Teaching skills; Self-Motivated, Flexible and Adaptable; Ability to Multi-Task, take Initiative, Assess, Organize ,Prioritize and Work under pressure without supervision Soft Skills: Excellent Communication and Inter-personal skills.
Computer Skills: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Internet Language Skills: Good in written and spoken English, Arabic is an advantage.
PHYSICAL & WORKING CONDITIONS
• Works primarily in an air conditioned, well-lighted and comfortable health care facility, while also exposed to infections and close contact with the patients.
• May have to work long hours, in shifts and be available to deal with departmental exigencies
• Prolonged, extensive, or considerable standing/walking and moving. Occasional reaching, stooping, bending and kneeling.
• May experience work related pressure.