The Communications department handles all external communications, including strategic communications, Press Office, earned news, public relations, media relations, editing, media partnerships, and other writing (e.g. web stories, thought leadership), as well as attracting media to attend and cover the event and manage their facilities and services. The key purpose of the department is to communicate Expo 2020 Dubai news to media, locally, regionally and internationally, to generate positive coverage, which translates into achieving our goal of 25 million visits during the six-month event.
Media Operations, a department within Communications, is responsible for providing all the services and facilities the accredited media need to do their jobs, both when on the Expo site and when working remotely. This includes all the planning and preparation in advance of the event.
Head of Press Operations will be responsible for planning, delivering and management of the press operation and the online platforms managed by Media Operations. This Head of Press Operations will manage multiple workstreams including Expo Media Centre, Photo Operations and Media Conferences/Briefings. This position works very closely with the Head of Broadcast to deliver seamless Media Operations throughout the Expo site and will be in charge of Media Operations project governance and management for event time.
The main responsibilties of the role include:
- Lead the department planning for the press guest groups including written press, photographers, digital media, press executives and media technicians and lead the online platform media systems integration with Expo 2020 internal functional areas and external suppliers;
- Facilitate Media Operations planning with internal departments for fit out of the Expo Media Centre including FF&E, internal infrastructure, catering provision, facilities management, health and safety procedures, contingency planning and logistics;
- Develop operational plans with Head of Broadcast and Venue Management for event time and plan event time media zonal operations and recruit and train senior Media Operations managers for media zone management and operations;
- Represent Media Operations in Integrated Delivery workshops, Event Simulation exercises and organisation leadership meetings as well as review and confirm media access planning to district anchor pavilions, international pavilions, partner pavilions and third-party spaces;
- Support all strategic planning of Media Services including media transport, permits, accreditation, media and ceremonies guides, manage all Innovation Future Technology (IFT) planning within Media Operations and with IFT functional area management to review and deliver the planned systems;
- Plan the Functional Area Command Centre (FACC) strategy and operational delivery, also align Media Operations strategic plans with all departments within Communications including Press Office, Strategic Communications and Media Partnerships;
- Provide Senior Management representation in Media Operations Functional Area Command and Control Centre (FACC) to triage information flow between zone and central teams and manage conflict resolution and provide direction;
- Ensure that all staff acquire the required skills and knowledge through appropriate learning and development programmes and provide outstanding leadership to the division and across the organisation.