Job Summary and Purpose:
Assume Technical supervision responsibility of the LNG/LPG fleet within own scope - in a reliable, safe, cost efficient and professional manner, in line with industry-wide best standards and practices. Oversee and monitor overall technical management rendered by third party managers. Ensure timely and accurate resolution for all technical issues.
• Manage overall technical operations of the fleet under supervision.
• Review all activities of Technical Superintendent as well as arrange for his/her training.
• Review reports received from Technical Superintendent for ship repairs and maintenance including dry docking documentations prior to and post every dry-docking period for directly managed and third party managed ships.
• Supervise ships managed by STASCO with respect to technical matters including ship condition report, dry docking, planned maintenance report, specifications for major refit or repairs as well other matters like attendance at shipyard and budget versus operating cost.
• Supervise the activities of Technical Superintendents. The person in this position shall manage his own fleet on any matter relating to Technical operations.
• Provide expert technical advice on repair and maintenance of vessels and other technical matters as may be required in order to ensure reliable, safe and cost efficient operations.
• Resolve all technical issues and propose solutions and recommendation for the same. Explore any improvement or modification required in vessel while also performing a RA for operators.
• Operate under guidance of Technical Manager as well as maintain healthy coordination with Charterers for projects related to major retrofitting and modification to ships.
• Support projects related to ship modifications and retrofits.
• Confirm that expenditures are controlled while making sure that set standards are maintained, unplanned issues resolved and vessel performance maximized.
• Assist and guide Technical Superintendent in the technical and feasibility analysis pertaining to new or replaced vessels equipment and systems.
• Schedule periodic ship visits in order to track vessel condition and performance as well as achievement against industry-wide best standards.
• Performs duties and responsibilities under the guidance of Company Incident Commander as stipulated by Emergency Response Plan.
• Guide Technical Superintendent in development of policies and procedures related to ships technical operations.
• Perform periodic safety & technical audits as well as vetting of vessels as part of risk management exercise.
Integrated Management System:
• Assist SHEQ manger in development and execution of Integrated Management System for the company. Also provide proactive support for its continuous improvement.
Liaise with 3rd party managers:
• Guide supply and contracts division on entering into strategic contracts with key vendors and parallel agreements with 3rd party managers.
• Assist in transition of management from 3rd party managers to Nakilat for LNG ships.
Emergency Response Plan:
• Implement the Emergency Response Plan under direction of the Company Incident Commander.
Quality, Health, Safety, & Environment (QHSE):
• Ensure compliance to all relevant QHSE policies, procedures and controls across the section, to ensure that Nakilat provides a safe, world class, secure and environmentally responsible service to customers, the public and its own people.
Budgets and Plans:
• Contribute to the development of the Technical department budget, through setting the Technical - 1 section budget, and monitor its expenditure, while ensuring the optimal utilization of all available resources to protect Nakilat interest.
Systems and Processes:
• Participate in developing the Technical department policies, procedures and system, and ensure their proper implementation to support achieving the different set targets and plans, hence Nakilat strategy.
• Marine Engineering degree (Class 1), preferably in motors and steam, or any other equivalent degree
• Sailed as chief engineer on board LNG/VLG Carriers
• Auditing skills - Lead ISO, ISM & ISPS Auditor preferred.
• Attended Incident Investigation LNG training
• Attended Emergency Response LNG training
• Attended relevant Risk Assessment training
• 8 to 12 years of experience out of which, a minimum 5 years experience as Chief Engineer on board LNG/LPG/Oil tanker
• Minimum 2 years as Technical Superintendent
• Experience of refit and dry docking as Chief Engineer and Technical Superintendent
Job Specific Skills:
• Excellent knowledge of technical operations for Large Gas Carriers owned and managed
• LNG/LPG refits experience.
• Ability to conduct accident investigations, root cause analysis with recommendations and provide comprehensive reports
• Ability to compile budget and exercise controls
• Computer Literate Knowledge of Microsoft office suite of products