ICU Head Nurse (Ref#003)
Published: Jul 23, 2020
Leads and demonstrates the provision of safe patient and family focused quality care. Responsible for twenty-four (24) hour management of assigned nursing unit. Assesses, plans, directs, implements, and evaluates patient care to comply with established standards in accordance with the American Nurses Association, Nursing Administration Scope and Standards of Practice and Joint Commission International Accreditation (JCIA). Leads and demonstrates the successful achievement of the Nursing Affairs (NA)strategic goals.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
• Strives for excellence on unit and promotes excellent team working and interdisciplinary relationships.
• Ensures that nursing and support teams work flexibly and supportively together and that the objectives for the assigned area are delivered.
• Leads and demonstrates achievement in decreasing the length of stay/wait time.
• Evaluates patient acuity, develops and reviews criteria for work assignment and delivery care model. Ensures that there is planned and effective day-to-day skill mix and staff management. Determines and reviews staffing plans and develops a scheduling system for unit and reviews regularly as staffing, skills mix, and acuity change.
• Leads collaborative multidisciplinary partnerships working towards the achievement of unit and department goals.
• Develops evidence based nursing practice in collaboration with Assistant Head Nurse and other Nursing staff. Promotes and maintains a culture within the clinical environment, which challenges and questions practice and promotes critical thinking amongst staff.
• Leads and demonstrates achievement of clinical quality outcome indicators and patient satisfaction as per unit goals.
• Promotes resource utilization awareness and the associated financial implication. Leads and demonstrates achievement of cost efficiency on unit as per targets. Prepares annual budget and provides variance reports as required. Forecasts requirements for personnel, supplies, and equipment.
• Ensures ongoing individual performance appraisals are objectively completed for staff members against set criteria. Assists with action plans arising from these appraisals as necessary.
• Supports the staff recruitment; encourages and promotes the retention of all staff.
• Demonstrates excellent personal communication and teamwork. Treats colleagues, patients, and visitors with dignity and respect at all times.
• Assists and supports staff in the identification, development, and implementation of their role according to his/her career development plan.
• Develops and sustains own knowledge, clinical skills, and professional awareness, and maintains a professional profile. Provides documented evidence of performance and maintenance of skills consistent with position.
• Effectively manages the allocated resources including staff, supplies, and equipment.
• Contributes to the development and evaluation of Hospital wide policies and procedures. Assists with organizational projects as requested including participating on nursing and/or interdisciplinary committees and task forces.
• Establishes and maintains effective administrative processes on unit. Prepares quarterly reports and maintains records of activity and outcomes. Conducts and facilitates unit meetings and maintains minutes.
• Follows all Hospital related policies and procedures.
• Participates in self and other s education, training and development, as applicable.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Master's or Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
• Registered Nurse with current nursing license from country of origin
• Four (4) years of nursing experience including two (2) years of leadership experience with Master's; Six (6) years with Bachelor's