ICU Respiratory Therapist
1. Job SUMMARY
To provide safe, effective, and efficient respiratory care services, under medical direction, for the assessment, treatment, management, control, diagnostic evaluation, and care of patients with deficiencies and abnormalities of the cardiopulmonary system.
To provide and ensure professional respiratory care to patients, as directed by the medical staff, and in accordance with the hospital s objectives, policies and procedures.
The following responsibilities are to be interpreted in compliance with the Agreement:
• Performs routine floor care as directed by the policy and procedure manual.
• Connects and monitors continuous ventilation equipment as necessary.
• Prepares, orders, and administers nebulized and instilled medications as prescribed by physician order.
• Responds to Code Blues and other hospital emergency calls.
• Order and stock departmental supplies as needed.
• Documents effects of therapy in patient chart.
• Participates in report at beginning and end of shift when given.
• Performs in-service education responsibilities for nursing, physicians, new staff,department staff, and other ancillary departments. Also participates in home discharge planning and teaching.
• Receives and records physician orders on therapy sheet and patient chart.
• When appropriate, reports therapy results to physician and/or nurse, recommends changes in therapy.
• Initiates oxygen protocol criteria and assessments, initiates weaning of oxygen and monitoring of oxygen equipment.
• Contacts physician to reorder, or discontinue therapy as appropriate.
• Participates in departmental committees as required.
• Performs trach care, trach weaning as appropriate, and trach changes when necessary.
• Administers protocols and assessments and recommends therapy as appropriate.
• Performs other duties as assigned by respiratory care director or senior respiratory therapy staff.
• Maintains hospital and department standards of care.
• Supports and demonstrates a customer service commitment to internal and external customers through adherence to Al Qassimi Hospital s customer service standards and
• Maintains competence through attendance at mandatory and other job-related educational opportunities.
• Assists in maintaining a safe environment of care by actively participating in hospital and department safety education and training programs; performing position duties in a safe manner; reporting hazardous conditions or unsafe practices; and abiding by all applicable policies and procedures.
• Regulary reports, as required, on the KPIs that are to be reported upon regarding the activities in the Department.
• Establishes and maintains an effective working relationship and ongoing communications with medical staff and other department heads.
• Ensures the Department / Clinical Unit Manager is informed of and aware of significant events and activities in the area(s) of responsibility.
• Ensures ICML is is informed of and aware of significant events and activities in the area(s) of responsibility and ensure collection and compilationof all documentations, IP and other relevant information about ICML activities within the Department as may be required by ICML.
• Provides input to the monthly reports to be produced by the Clinical Director to the ICML Project Manager and to ICML on the activities of the Department with particular emphasis on the activities of the ICML Staff at the Department for the preceeding month highlighting areas of success, areas of deficiency and forecasting possible future encumbrances including laying out the steps for oversoming the same with the aim of providing safe and effieicnt healthcare services;
• Generally has a duty of care to ICML and works with and works with and cooperates fully with ICML and the ICML Project Manager in the implementation of all aspects of the Agreement between ICML s Client and ICML;
• Performs other professional duties as may be assigned within his/her scope and ability.
3. DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
Autonomous within the role responsibilities. Responsible for making resourcing, staffing, bed management decisions. Responsible for the efficient use of equipment and supplies for the unit. Responsible for working collaboratively with others to solve problems, provide care and improve the provision of patient care. Responsible for collection, collation and improvements of key performance indicators for the unit.
4. COMMUNICATIONS AND RELATIONSHIPS
Clinical and non-clinical Staff
Families, visitors, Hospital staff, external health professionals, general public
5. KNOWLEDGE, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED FOR THE ROLE
• Possess a Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology/Respiratory Therapy from a fully accredited institution, and be
• Fully certified in Medical Technology/Respiratory Therapy
• Minimum three (3) years recent experience in Medical Technology/Respiratory Therapy with at least one (1) year in area of speciality
• Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English
• Basic Arabic language skills considered a plus
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to read an order properly in order to interpret type and levels of patient care ordered, to document results of patient care provided, to understand and follow instructions relating to respiratory care, and to perform calculations in order to properly perform ventilator management.
• Is self-motivated and works well with minimal direction. Asks for guidance when necessary and responds to guidance constructively. Proven ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with others both within and outside of the organization
• Excellent investigative, analytical and problem solving skills
• Knowledge of Health Information Systems applications, tools and concepts.
• Excellent customer service approach
• Exposure to quality projects desirable
• Demonstrated knowledge of research methodology, practices and techniques. Research participation desirable
• Knowledge of methods of developing clinical quality assurance and evidence based clinical practice
• Understanding and practical experience of service evaluation
• Good knowledge of MS Office applications including Word. Excel, Powerpoint and presentation media