Note: Unix based refer to Unix & Linux Server Operating Systems interchangeably.
• This role will be responsible for the day to day support of all Linux based Servers within the client environment, performing troubleshooting and resolving incidents.
• Work with 3rd party vendors, subcontractors and support teams to effectively support the environment and achieve SLAs.
• Maintain service availability in excess of 99.5%
• Create and maintain relevant server support documentation.
• Provide input into change control, project planning and BC/DR activities.
• Perform general Unix support duties and schedule maintenance tasks as required.
• Adhere to change control create and implement changes as required to maintain the environment and ensure stability of the Linux Server environment and relevant supported services.
• Assist with projects as required. Some project may require after hour work.
Key responsibilities include:
• Support (Identify, troubleshoot and resolve incidents) all Linux Server operating systems:
• Identify, troubleshoot and resolve the cause of a system crash / kernel panic
• Identify, troubleshoot and resolve driver incompatibilities and issues
• Identify, troubleshoot and resolve performance issues
• Identify, troubleshoot and resolve service failures
• Identify, troubleshoot and escalate hardware failures
• Identify, troubleshoot and resolve configuration issues
• Identify, troubleshoot and resolve clustering and high availability issues
• Support (Identify, troubleshoot and resolve incidents) Linux server services such as:
• LVM configuration, administration and migrations
• Linux based clustering
• File and print server, SSHFS and NFS
• Apache complete configuration and optimization / tuning
• Samba, SSHD, NTPD, Apache MQ and other services
• Support (Identify, troubleshoot and resolve incidents) related to Server hardware, ILO, Firmware and monitoring integration (Zabbix / WBEM / SNMP).
• Provide support and work with 3rd party vendors, subcontractors and support teams in order to achieve SLAs.
• Create and Maintain relevant documentation
• Coordinate activities of subcontractors and 3rd party vendors as required.
• Ensure all projects and activities are executed to a high standard and within required timelines
• Performing reasonable requests from management as required to effectively support the assigned client.
Technical Knowlege Requirements
• Thorough knowledge of Disaster Recovery Solutions using VEEAM, VMware SRM and other Orchestration layers
• Thorough knowledge of Backup solutions like Veritas NetBackup / Data Protector / Tivoli
• Thorough knowledge of Scripting (Bash, Python, Perl) and automation tools (ansible, chef, puppet, salt)
• Proven ability to maintain Server availability to excess of 99.5%
• Thorough knowledge of filesystem and share permission, inheritance, file ownership
• Thorough knowledge of Active Directory Group/User objects integration
• Thorough knowledge of PAM and Login scripts, including troubleshooting and reporting
• Thorough knowledge of the LDAP, SELinux concepts, integration with Microsoft Windows Domains and it s concepts, and the interaction between hardware, operating systems, network, data center, and application software.
• Thorough knowledge of security principles applicable to Linux Server environments
• Thorough knowledge of network protocols and network services.
MINIMUM Qualifications and Education Requirements
• Bachelor s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent.
• RHCSE or any other relevant Linux Administration certification
• Additional OS / Services certifications bonus
• ITIL Foundation Certificate v3 a bonus
SOFT SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS
• Ability to work with related teams in order to achieve SLAs
• Ability to create and maintain documentation and provide relevant reports. This will require good working knowledge of MS word, Excel, Visio and PowerPoint.
• Ability to work independently with accuracy and minimum supervision
• Solid knowledge of standards and best practices.
• Knowledge of relevant government regulations and ability to maintain compliance to such regulations.
• Excellent command of English is crucial. Good verbal and written skills.
• Good interpersonal skills.
• Ability to take initiatives and assist improve the Windows Server environment performance and management
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS INtermediate Level
• 5+ years of overall experience with Unix based server support within server environments exceeding 100 servers.
• Very good troubleshooting skills
• Be able to successfully demonstrate proficiency in at least 80% of Technical knowledge requirements and be able to perform at least 80% of Key responsibilities.
Ability to increase proficiency to 90% within 12 months with some guidance from senior team members.