Laboratory Instructor - Chemistry/Biology
American International University - Kuwait City
American International University (AIU) seeks an enthusiastic, energetic chemistry/biology lab instructor. The successful candidate will oversee the establishment of general chemistry and biology labs and have them fully operational. He/she will apply knowledge of chemistry/biology and scientific laboratory procedures and techniques in performing a broad range of duties related to the day-to-day operations of the laboratories; duties include the preparation of supplies, materials, and equipment; maintenance of equipment and facilities; storekeeping functions; and the proper and safe use of equipment and materials.
To fill this position, we seek a highly motivated and well-trained chemist or biochemical scientist to educate and mentor our students at the general education level. The successful candidate will teach lab sessions in chemistry and biology-related disciplines in a general education environment, conduct lab preparation and maintenance, and ensure lab safety and compliance. The successful candidate will also display dedication to inclusive excellence and a culture of diversity in science and higher education.
• Teach lab sessions in chemistry and biology-related disciplines
• Set-up laboratory equipment and instrumentation required for tests, or process control.
• Conduct chemical and biological laboratory tests of solid materials, liquids, and gases, and analyzes test results.
• Prepare chemical solutions for use in processing materials, following standardized formulas or experimental procedures.
• Liaise with chemistry and biology faculty regarding laboratory sessions.
• Ensure the accurate inventory of chemistry and biology equipment and materials.
• Maintain the safety of chemistry and biology equipment, materials, and laboratory.
• Perform technical duties related to the chemistry and biology laboratories activities.
• Provide technical assistance to faculty and students.
• Master of Science with a major in Chemistry or Biochemistry.
• Excellent oral and written English essential; spoken Arabic highly desirable.
• Minimum of 3 years of work experience as a lab instructor in a chemical/biological laboratory or in a higher educational institutions.
• Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
• Student-centered, project-based learning and an aptitude to work with post-secondary students.
• Committed to innovation in teaching and learning initiatives, with a positive can-do attitude and willingness to promote life-long learning across AIU.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, good interpersonal skills, and an ability to work with diverse groups of people.
• Sound understanding of technologies that support educational development and current on the latest technology advances.