Duties, objectives, and competencies
Key Duties:Provide strategic direction to the Nutrition Programme:
• ;In collaboration with GOAL s global advisors, oversee and manage all elements of the Syria nutrition program, including the team in line with the organisations global goals.
• Take ownership of and finalise the development of an evidence-based nutrition strategy, designed specifically for the Syrian context to guide programme direction.
• Ensure that GOAL s nutrition programme remains in line with guidance from the Nutrition Cluster and global technical bodies, is in line with GOAL s global strategy responsive to data generated from the field and is attainable given donor priorities.
• Review use of GOAL s four pillars within program design of how we work, using a systems approach, fostering inclusion, working to increase resilience and facilitating social and behaviour change.
Overall responsibility for the implementation of the Nutrition Programme and achievement of results:
• Ensure the implementation of the Nutrition programme through all stages of the project management cycle.
• Work with MEAL to develop appropriate MEAL tools, to enable timely data analysis and subsequent data use, with a focus on a) ;assessment of quality of activities, b) reflection on whether change is being achieved and c) demonstrate the achievement of results to report on deliverables,.
• Work with the M & E Department to strengthen and maintain a project monitoring and evaluation system, including an effective field reporting system that will enable measurement of progress at output and outcome levels.
• Lead timetabled review meetings, sharing updates, experiences and discussing adaptive management of the program.
• Lead on development of learning documents, based on MEAL data generated in collaboration with reflections from program staff. Share learning with HQ and other countries as appropriate.
• Develop and maintain project tools which support project implementation and review of progress. Support the field teams to prepare programmatic work plans, target tables and project budgets specific to their areas of focus.
• Manage the project budget through approving expenditures in accordance with GOAL policies and reviewing monthly budget versus actual reports, comparing with time and targets achievement.
• Liaise with other departments including finance/administration, procurement and human resource departments to ensure adequate support for all project activities.
• Assess the training needs of nutrition staff; develop a training program to meet these needs; conduct nutrition training for project food security and nutrition staff .
• Ensure GOAL Syria s nutrition activities support GOAL s global strategy. In particular, ensure that global goal 3 Food & Nutrition Security is addressed cohesively, using global guidance to support this achievement. Also review how nutrition focused actions can be harnessed to also support global goal 2 Resilient Health as appropriate.
• Ensure that all GOAL mainstreaming policies are incorporated in all; proposals and activities developed
• Lead the development of a referral mechanism and communication strategies for referrals between GOAL and other nutrition facilities actors in the ground.
• Prepare and provide regular monthly progress reports in coordination with relevant departments.
Management and leadership:
• Provide overall leadership to the Nutrition Department, approaching the role with energy, professionalism and enthusiasm to create a positive and high performance environment.
• Manage departmental resourcing ensuring careful HR planning to meet the needs of the programme.
• Work to ensure that all project job vacancies are filled in a timely fashion through coordination with the HR Department through the recruitment process
• Ensure work plans are in place for all project staff to reflect objectives and that mid-term reviews and annual appraisals are completed for all direct reports.
• Provide remote monitoring of staff performance and achievements against work plans and provide on-the-job feedback and instigate corrective measures to ensure the optimal productivity and efficiency of staff
• Foster a stable and participatory working environment by promoting experience sharing and lessons learnt.
• Identify and pursue opportunities for the technical development of project staff, organise capacity development and provide remote training as required.
• Participate in the external coordination Clusters with nutrition partners and governmental bodies and provide technical support and guidance in the nutrition sub-committee and cluster, where relevant
• Ensure information is circulated to the field teams appropriately, and that information is fed from the field teams to senior management.
• Liaise regularly with GOAL s global nutrition technical team to ensure appropriate technical support for the program.
• Degree level qualification in nutrition, science, public health, medicine, or any other relevant field
• Minimum 3 years relevant experience in nutrition or health related humanitarian programming with at least one year experience in a programme management or coordination position.
• Experience of training, leading review meetings and workshops
• Experience of budget management, project administration, logistics and Human Resources management
• Strong experience in people management and demonstrable capacity for departmental leadership.
• Strong analytical and writing skills. Experience of proposal writing, log frame development and donor reporting.
• Excellent IT skills, including strong knowledge of MS Office applications
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and training skills and a track record of building/developing cohesive teams
• Good communication skills (written, spoken), including excellent writing skills in English.
• Ability and willingness to travel extensively to the field (up to 30%).
• Arabic language skills
• Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment
• Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail
• Demonstrated capability in capacity building.
• Willingness to take responsibility for personal security and adhere to GOAL s security guidelines.
• Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed.
• Applications are strongly encouraged from female candidates.