• Contribute to the formulation of the CMHS s strategy, with a focus on meeting KU and CMHS strategic goals in the areas of medical student assessment and evaluation.
• Contribute to development of the CMHS s policies and procedures, adhering to the overall objectives of Khalifa University, ensuring alignment to applicable regulations and standards and promoting of leading practices and educational excellence
• Contribute to the development and management of the office budget
• Manage and mentor staff within the office
Assessment and Evaluation
• In coordination with the Assistant Dean for Medical Education, oversees the Office of Assessment and Evaluation.
• Supports CMHS accreditation processes and its program of continuous quality improvement
• Works with the Dean, Associate Deans, Curriculum Committee, and teaching faculty to plan, develop, implement,and assess all methods of student assessment and evaluation across the entire four-year program to ensure that all methods are state-of-the art.
• Ensures that academic programs and services conform to laws, regulations, and policies of the United Arab Emirates
• Ensures the activities of the office are in alignment with accreditation guidelines
• In coordination with the Assistant Dean for Medical Education and other departments and offices within KU and the CMHS, participates in design, implementation, management and evaluation of the medical curriculum.
• Serves some ex-officio, non-voting member of the CMHS Curriculum Committee; provides data to inform the process of curriculum assessment and management; makes recommendations to the Assistant Dean of Medical Education and the Curriculum Committee.
• Provides routine reports to the Dean, Associate and Assistant Deans, and standing CMHS committees as directed
• Works with the faculty in creating exams (including computerized tests) to assure they meet standards of excellence
• Supervising the statistician,produces detailed quantitative and qualitative analysis for all administered assessment.
• Ensures timely submission of medical student grades and evaluations from course directors; and compiles and maintains a database of student performance data; supervises collection of evaluative data and provides analysis for the Medical Student Performance Evaluation
• Serves as Chief Proctor for the NBME, and oversees exam proctors and the computer-based testing lab
• Provides reports to the Dean and Associate Deans to inform and improve academic and administrative processes
• Assists in developing policies and procedures of the CMHS;
• Works with the Dean, Associate Deans and Khalifa University s Office of Research Support to promote and support research activities
• Supports and mentor s office faculty and staff who participate in research
Administrative & People Management
• In consultation with the Dean and Associate Deans, actively works with the Office of Human Resources to recruit and retain high quality faculty and staff to support the medical education program
• Manages faculty and staff (direct reports) by defining job expectations; plans, monitors, and appraises faculty and staff performance; coaches, counsels and actively participates in the departmental employees on-boarding, mentoring and professional development.
• Assists in scheduling and assigning staff workload in the Office of Medical Education
• Provides information or prepares reports as and when needed.
• Ensures adherence to the University's information security policies and procedures, and reports breaches or other security risks accordingly.
• Ensures coordination with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
• Performs any other tasks assigned by the Dean and his line managers.
• Provides coaching, guidance and mentoring as required to enhance the internal capabilities of the team and ensures the achievement of established objectives and plans.
• Recommends appropriate training courses as per pre-determined training needs, evaluates their effectiveness,and monitors their results.
• Carries out performance appraisals for subordinates according to planned schedules and recommends necessary actions as per applied practices.
• Conducts periodic meetings with subordinates to ensure that priorities are clear and workflow is running smoothly.
• Follows-up on employees' administrative affairs such as vacations, leaves and other administrative and related affairs.
Qualifications & Experience
• M.D., Ph.D. or Ed.D in an appropriate field of study
• Qualified for faculty appointment atthe rank of Assistant Professor or higher
• Prior leadership role in assessment and evaluation of students
• Demonstrated expertise in psychometric, quantitative and qualitative analyses including: survey design,research methods, study design, interviewing, conducting focus groups,multivariate statistics, and the use of spreadsheets and graphics software.
• Expertise in test theory
Minimum Five (5) years of experience in medical education (including detailed knowledge of preclinical and clinical components of a medical school curriculum).
Proven management experience,requisite expertise in working collaboratively with faculty members and medicine professionals, strong interpersonal skills, and a thorough understanding of university structure and culture are essential.
Demonstrable ethical behavior,professionalism, interpersonal skills, leadership and management abilities that are sufficient to effectively direct and develop staff and students.
• Familiarity with human subject research guidelines and IRB policies and procedures
• Experience with publishing or presenting work at medical education meetings
• Familiarity or experience with an education institution in the Middle East