PURPOSE OF POSITION :
ARK is looking for a Research Officer to be based in our Beirut office. ARK s Research Department conducts mixed-methods multi-disciplinary research and analysis. The department s staff has a diverse range of thematic, geographic and methodological expertise and are supported by research consultants and data collection networks in multiple countries in the MENA region. The department s staff a highly dynamic, capable, multinational team are empowered to work collaboratively with other members of the department, project and MEAL teams, to cross-pollinate skills, approaches and findings. The key purpose of the Beirut-based Research Officer role is to conduct mixed-methods research and lead or assist other members of the research team, depending on the specific requirements, in the production of research outputs and deliverables, under the supervision of the Head of Research and/or ARK s Beirut-based Senior Research Consultant.
• Contribute to the design of research project plans, deliverables and data collection tools, such as Focus Group Discussions, Key Informant Interviews, questionnaires, field surveys and other participatory research methods;
• Proactively engage in discussions and brainstorming sessions about potential research outputs and inform implementation activities;
• Participate in the training of enumerators and assist with supervision of data collectors and field researchers and associated protocols and quality control mechanisms;
• Clean and analyse primary and secondary data and draft thematic and analytical reports;
• Tabulate descriptive statistics and prepare charts and tables;
• Assist in sampling for survey research, often with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) tools;
• Edit and review research outputs and deliverables produced by other members of the team;
• Review and synthesize relevant scholarly and specialist material from academic journals, policy institutes/think tanks and international organisations;
• Maintain situational awareness by keeping abreast of relevant socio-political, economic and security developments in Lebanon, or other countries in the MENA region as required, which may directly or indirectly impact research, data collection and project implementation activities;
• Contribute to the preparation of project-related presentations and attend meetings and calls with research clients and/or other relevant stakeholders.
• Support the Head of Research in the development of relevant methodologies, guides, training materials and other documents for the Research Department;
• Develop a public profile as an expert and strengthen those credentials by publishing research and analysis in relevant peer reviewed journals and/or other specialized platforms, e.g. leading think tanks;
• Contribute to ARK s business development strategy, including through meetings with potential clients, attending conferences, and engaging with relevant stakeholders, in close coordination with ARK s Business Development Department and the Head of Research.
• Right to work in Lebanon.
• Masters degree in the Social Sciences (Political Science, International Relations, Economics, Sociology, Social Work, Development, Conflict, Anthropology, Area Studies, or a related discipline);
• Minimum 3 years of experience utilising quantitative and qualitative methods;
• Strong interest and knowledge of Lebanon and the MENA region more broadly, with regards to themes such as community resilience, social cohesion, refugees and IDPs, armed conflict, governance, development, social unrest/protests, among others;
• Professional written English and spoken and written Arabic;
• Experience writing reports for a variety of target audiences and collating and visualising data
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyse, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
• Advanced computer literacy/skills and familiarity with relevant software such as Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and data visualisation tools.
• Intermediate-to-advanced capability with statistics software such as SPSS.
• Commitment to the conduct of ethical research with human subjects.
• Previous experience with/advanced knowledge of other MENA countries such as Jordan or Syria.
• Interest in and knowledge of data management processes and relevant software.
ARK Group places human dignity at the centre of its development and stabilisation work and is thus committed to the protection from sexual exploitation and abuse of children and adults. All ARK employees and related-personnel are expected to share this commitment, and only those who also uphold these values will be recruited as part of our team. This vacancy is therefore subject to a range of due diligence checks.