• Responsible for developing methods and software tools to analyze and interpret biological data. Requires in-depth knowledge and experience in solving complex omics problems. Uses best practices and knowledge of internal or external company issues to improve products or services and taking a new perspective using existing solutions. Works independently, receives minimal guidance and acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience. This role works very closely with the Head of Bioinformatics to deliver on the goals and objectives of the Omics Center.
• Develop new bioinformatics approaches for analyses of large-scale genomics datasets and development of new applications.
• Collaborate with various internal teams including software, clinical, operations, research, and product development.
• Participate where applicable in the Omics Center s internal and external scientific research, publications and collaborations.
• End-to-end analysis that includes design, data gathering, processing, analysis, iteration with stakeholders, and generating regular progress reports in the respect area of work and presentation of the results.
• Promulgate approaches and build tools that preserve scientific rigor and quality.
• Maintain an active internal external scientific presence.
• Complying consistently with facility policies, procedures and practices and ensuring alignment with SEHA facilities policies.
• Completing and maintaining regulatory requirements including: licensure and certification and other mandatory training within established time frames.
• Maintaining confidentiality with regards to any information exchanged or received in the current capacity of role in accordance with facility policy
• Assist the Head of Bioinformatics as requested in developing and maintaining guidelines for data integrity and confidentiality in accordance with the policies of UAE.
• Management of the team of Bioinformaticians the respective areas of specialty in accordance with HR policies and ensuring all employees in the team, contractors and consultants abide by the confidentiality clauses of the company including signing the relevant confidentiality documentation.
• Adhering to requirements of the Occupational Health and safety guidelines and infection control guidelines
• Understanding and adhering to emergency preparedness plans/policies.
• Recognizing the necessity of continuously developing skills and acquiring additional knowledge appropriate to the position.
• Dressing appropriately to meet the expectations of the company in alignment with the Occupational Health and Safety policies
• Complying with any regulations related to mentoring, training and development of UAE Nationals staff.
• Managing the functions and setting up KPIs for Bioinformatics Scientists and Bioinformatics Technicians in line with the key deliverable for the Omics Center.
• Recruitment of staff to create a fully functional Bioinformatics team with domain expertise able to analyze the data generated in the center for the range of defined applications, key goals and objectives with an outlook to new and innovative applications that are geared to address the realization of Precision Medicine in the UAE.
• Collaborating with the Head of IT, AI and Software Development in ensuring adequate and optimal resources for the center in terms of its computational hardware, software and network needs necessary to achieve the goals in data analytics and developmental aspects.
• Recommend new systems and processes to improve operations.
• Collaborate with technical specialists to resolve design or development problems.
• Introduce new and innovative methods and software to deliver of project goals and the services section of the Omics Centre
• Work with the Head of Bioinformatics in recruiting new talent to strengthen the efficiency of the team in delivering on company goals and objectives.
• Supervise the work of a team of Bioinformaticians in delivering on objectives of the center as setup in consultation with the Head of Bioinformatics. The areas of specialization will be allocated taking into account domain expertise and past experience.
• Design and apply bioinformatics algorithms including unsupervised and supervised machine learning, dynamic programming, or graphic algorithms.
• Compile data for use in activities such as gene expression profiling, genome annotation, and structural bioinformatics.
• Develop data models and databases and incorporate the use of AI in understanding complex multifactorial datasets to create models characterizing genetic disease phenomena.
• Keep abreast of new biochemistries, instrumentation, or software by reading scientific literature and attending professional conferences.
• To analyze genomic sequence data along with proteomics data as it becomes available for clinical or basic research purposes.
• Analyze large sequence datasets including long and short read sequence data using hybrid assembly and alignment methods to investigate variants, indels structural variants and use ONT datasets to analyze the epigenomic markers
• Create novel computational approaches and analytical tools as required by research goals.
• Develop new software applications or customize existing applications to meet specific scientific project needs.
• Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Statistics, Biological Sciences, Cancer Biology, Genetics, Genomics, Computer Science, Physics, or equivalent preparation and experience.
• Demonstrated ability to supervise bioinformatics teams, perform translational research, and contribute to cross functional projects.
• Proven track record of highly cited publications, impactful tools, products, or data sets used by the scientific community.
• Must-have 5 years relevant experience in Bioinformatics post qualification.
• Deep understanding of modern statistical and machine learning tools for analysis of genomics datasets.
• Demonstrated expertise in at least one programming language (R, Python, Go, C++).
• Experience using HPC and cloud-based systems.
• Experience deploying and maintaining resources on cloud computing.
• Technical leadership and ability to work independently, willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques.
• Proficiency in Linux environment, version control tools, and reproducible research practices.