Senior Medical Technologist, Cytogenetics
Ranked #1 in the Region Tertiary Acute Care Facility - Riyadh
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Acts in a lead capacity for a specialized subsection/unit function of the Cytogenetics section to obtain accurate data for diagnosis and treatment of disease.
Education / Qualification Required:
• Master's or Bachelor s Degree in Medical Technology or related discipline required
• Registration as Technologist or equivalent National Certification
• Two (2) years of related experience in Microbiology with Master s Degree or Four (4) years of similar requirements with Bachelor s Degree
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Using SOPs, accurately and efficiently performs tissue culture of assigned specimen types, including culture initiation, maintenance, and harvest. Also performs slides preparation and staining for microscopic analysis.
• Performs accurate microscopic/ post-microscopic analysis of assigned specimen types meeting or exceeding established productivity standards, applying additional staining/testing procedures when indicated, and preparing karyotypes using established Cytogenetics laboratory procedures.
• Using SOP's accurately and efficiently process assigned specimen types, including slide preparation, pre-treatment, hybridization, post wash, and counterstain for microscopic analysis using appropriate quality control standards.
• Performs accurate microscopic/ post-microscopic analysis of assigned specimen types meeting or exceeding established productivity standards.
• Documents and maintains tissue culture and/or microscopy analysis records completely and accurately. Documents chromosome or FISH abnormalities using correct ISCN nomenclature and best assessment of breakpoints.
• Ensures accurate specimen processing/test results by strict adherence to testing methodology and quality standards.
• Participates in quality assurance, quality control, and quality improvement programs.
• Possess appropriate computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, etc.).
• Participates in training of technologists and other laboratory personnel, including visiting students and fellows, as needed. Participate in reviewing training checklists to reflect current laboratory procedures.
• Attends departmental meeting as required and participate in the department's continuing education program.
• Maintains laboratory areas and equipment in a safe, functional and a sanitary condition. Adheres to all established laboratory safety requirements. Required to use (a) personal protective equipment, (b) engineering controls and/or work practice control as directed by management
• Investigates incident reports and directs technical staff in the performance of corrective measures.
• Assists the Supervisor of the Cytogenetics lab in the employee performance appraisal.
• Participates in self and other's education, Training and Development, as applicable.
• Follows all Hospital related policies and procedures.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.