Technology Innovation Institute (TII) is a publicly funded research institute, based in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. It is home to a diverse community of leading scientists, engineers, mathematicians, and researchers from across the globe, transforming problems and roadblocks into pioneering research and technology prototypes that help move society ahead.
Autonomous Robotics Research Centre
Unmanned vehicles in space, in the air, on land, on sea, and underwater offer exciting opportunities to dramatically improve safety, environmental protection and operational effectiveness at lower cost in both industrial and mission-critical settings.
Our research focus includes:
• UAV research and development, covering platforms, real-time operating systems, perception and communication algorithms, control, and decision-making algorithms
• Autonomous ground vehicle research and development for on road and off road use cases
• Swarm architectures for heterogeneous drones and advanced communication networks
• Low-power platforms for nano-size and pico-size UAV classes
• Bio-inspired, evolutionary, and self-organized methodologies
Position: Senior Researcher Applied Machine Learning for Robotics
• Take the lead of building and accelerating ML solutions, collaborate with senior staff to define the problem and science solutions
• Create experiments and prototype implementations of new learning algorithms and prediction techniques
• Use machine learning best practices to ensure a high standard of quality for all of the team deliverables
• Mentor Scientists and Software Development Engineers with a strong interest in machine learning
Skills required for the job
• Broad knowledge of fundamentals and state-of-the-art in relevant areas of robotics/machine learning/computer vision/artificial intelligence
• Experience in publishing at major robotics and related conferences (e.g. RSS, NIPS, ICRA, CVPR, CORL, ICCV) or journals (IJRR, IEEE TRO, JMLR)
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent problem solving ability
• PhD in intelligent robotics in some of the following areas:
• Planning for robot manipulation (e.g. path and trajectory planning and optimisation, optimisation of forces, grasping, pushing)
• Control (e.g. impedance and direct force control, dynamics, trajectory control, motion planning, simulation, HRI for robot teleoperation in manipulative tasks)
• Learning (e.g. learning approaches to control and trajectory production, contact for grasps/pushes, human intention detection for robot control)
At TII, we help society to overcome its biggest hurdles through a rigorous approach to scientific discovery and inquiry, using state-of-the-art facilities and collaboration with leading international institutions. Our rigorous discovery and inquiry-based approach helps to forge new and disruptive breakthroughs in advanced materials, autonomous robotics, cryptography, digital security, directed energy, quantum computing and secure systems.