The purpose of this role is to provide guidance across the GOAL Syria programme portfolio on gender equality and social inclusion (GESI). This will include driving the implementation of GOAL Syria s GESI Strategy and Action Plan to strengthen GESI integration in programming and supporting functions. The postholder will be responsible for working across a number teams to provide GESI-related technical assistance, capacity strengthening and support to business development. The postholder will also engage with partners on GESI issues and will represent GOAL Syria on GESI issues in external networks and fora. This is a new role on the team and therefore offers the postholder an excellent opportunity to shape and build upon a strategic area of work for GOAL Syria.
The postholder will be part of the Programme Quality Team, reporting to the Deputy Director of Programme Quality and will work closely with GOAL s Global Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Advisor.
Duties and responsibilities
• Drive GOAL Syria s approach to GESI through implementation, monitoring and review (as necessary) of GOAL Syria s GESI Strategy and GESI Action Plan across programmes and activities.
• Engage with GOAL Syria s Technical Advisors and other relevant programme quality support teams to provide technical GESI support across programming and activities throughout the project cycle and recommend adjustments or new activities as required.
• Collaborate with the MEAL team to ensure the GESI perspective is included in data collection, monitoring, evaluation, analysis and learning processes to better understand and respond to the differentiated impacts of GOAL Syria s programmes.
• Link with partners to support integration of GESI across activities as wells as tools and approaches.
• Provide GESI-related inputs to GOAL Syria s annual planning, strategic planning and budgeting processes.
Training & Capacity Strengthening
• Strengthen staff capacity on GESI and ensure a clear understanding of key concepts through the development and delivery of trainings and awareness raising activities.
• Working alongside partners towards strengthening GESI capacity and approaches in programme delivery.
• Share good practices and latest resources on GESI with staff to support the strengthening of GESI integration in programming.
• Drive the establishment of and provide support to a GESI focal point network across GOAL Syria.
• Provide support to proposal development and ensure that proposal design is informed by a sound GESI analysis of the context.
• Ensure that GESI considerations are integrated in the development of project logical frameworks and resources are allocated as appropriate in budgets.
• Track and document project progress from the GESI perspective and contribute to project updates and periodic reporting.
• Represent GOAL Syria as a focal point for GESI in engagements with donors or other partners at the country level.
Collaboration & Representation
• Represent GOAL Syria in GESI-related meetings, fora, working groups and networks.
• Work with Learning Coordinator to capture GESI-related success stories that can be communicated internally and externally to various audiences.
• Collaborate and build/maintain relationships with local GESI-focused organisations and groups in the project areas.
• Collaborate and engage with GOAL s Global GESI Advisor, and GESI focal points from across GOAL teams globally.
The duties and responsibilities set out above are not exhaustive and the postholder may be required to carry out additional duties, within reason, and proportionate to their level of skill and experience.
Please note that this role will also require the ability and willingness to travel to Turkey (and regionally) when required, once safe travel can resume.
• Act as a representative of GOAL and demonstrate the highest standards of behaviour towards children and vulnerable adults both in your private and professional lives.
• Collaboration: collaborative team player with the ability to work across teams and with partners.
• Adaptability and flexibility: Ability to manage a large workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, and to continually reprioritise multiple tasks as a result of new information.
• Work style: Highly organized team player, pro-active and with demonstrated strong personal initiative. Proven solid analytical, and communication skills.
• Communication: Skilled communicator and ability to work effectively across multiple cultures, both in-person and remotely with diverse colleagues and stakeholders. Ability to communicate concepts and ideas in accessible formats for a variety of audiences.
• Self-motivation: proactive and results-oriented individual who can work on personal drive and initiative.
• Travel: Ability and willingness to travel to Turkey and regionally when required.
Requirements (Person Specification)
• Bachelor s degree in a relevant field, such as gender/inclusion studies, development or humanitarian studies, social sciences or a related field.
• At least five years of progressively responsible experience working on GESI in an advisory role, with a focus on planning, implementing and monitoring of programmes ideally in an NGO environment.
• Experience of working with and/or developing GESI tools, approaches and methodologies, including working with data, analyses and assessments.
• Experience in designing and/or delivering GESI training and capacity strengthening workshops for various stakeholders and audiences.
• Experience of driving GESI initiatives across teams and departments.
• Fluency in English as GOAL s working language.
• Ability and willingness to travel to Turkey (and regionally) when required, once safe travel can resume.
• Postgraduate degree in an area related to gender and/or inclusion.
• Professional proficiency in Arabic.
• Understanding of or previous experience working within the Syria crisis, and the context of Northwest Syria.
• Skilled in GESI research design, trend analysis and development of learning materials.
• Experience in resource mobilisation for GESI activities and programming.
• Technical knowledge of GOAL Syria programming areas, e.g. emergency response, cash and vouchers, WASH, shelter, etc.
• Experience representing an organisation externally with technical networks, donors, academia and in other contexts, and building relationships with stakeholders.
• Strong IT skills, including Microsoft Outlook and Office package.