In order to better understand the context in which USAID/Lebanon can support businesses in, designing new economic growth programs, and improving on-going activities, USAID/Lebanon requested an assessment of business sector (MSME), access to trade finance and trade facilitation. The assessment will uncover how businesses access trade finance during these times of political and economic stress, and how trade facilitation is taking place. It will look at current practices challenges and opportunities as well as provide recommendations moving forward based on the context. The assessment will start with a brief broad review of the current banking and finance sector and how they evolved into the dire state that is now observed. The assessment will also address Business Enabling Environment (BEE), private sector development, and the journey to self reliance (J2SR). The assessment will focus on business sectors where USAID/Lebanon s private sector development is invested.
SI is seeking an Assessment Team Leader (Senior), international or local, with trade, finance, banking and private sector expertise. The TL will join a team of experts including two to three local experts and PMSPL II staff members to conduct the assessment. The expected start date for the expert is September 15, 2020. The expert will be hired for the duration of the assessment. The deadline for the submission of the Draft Report to USAID is November 10 2020. The team member should be available for few days to review the final draft to be submitted to USAID in December. The expected number of LOEs is 45 days.
• During the pre-field work period, the TL will work with the assessment team to develop the assessment framework, fine tune the questions, design the methodology and data collection strategy, design the assessment tool guides (KIIs & FGD), and prepare an outline for data analysis.
• During the kick-off period, the TL will work with the assessment team to finalize the interview guides, finalize the logistics for the field work, draft and submit the inception report for USAID.
• At the field level, the TL will work with the assessment team to interview key stakeholders and carry out focus group discussions (if possible) as well as prepare summaries of the interviews and meetings to be included in the assessment report.
• At the post-field work level, the TL is expected to work with the assessment team to analyze the data, write up sections of the report and assist in presenting main findings for USAID.
• The expert is expected to support the assessment team in responding to USAID comments on the draft report and support the team in submitting a final report to USAID mission.
• The Team Leader ( Trade and Finance) on Lebanon should have at least 10 years of experience in trade and finance working in highly volatile countries, socio-economic situations and capable of providing socio-economic and financial analysis and practical recommendations for multi-national development programs/interventions of donor funded projects.
• He/She must have experience conducting/using political economic assessment frameworks in his/her work.
• He/ She must hold a Masters degree in Trade and Finance. Ph.D. in trade and finance is a plus.
• He/She should have good understanding of the main concepts related to trade, trade finance, financial sector, banking sector, marketing, and business at large.
• He/ She should have good understanding of the current structure, strengths and challenges facing the business sector in Lebanon, particularly when it comes to trade and finance.
• He/she should have demonstrated ability to undertake economic growth programs needs analysis and providing concrete practical recommendations for moving forward.
• He/She should be able to liaise with multiple agencies/clients/high-level diplomats, exceptional organizational and communications skills, proven managerial/leadership skills on large teams on complex projects, etc.
• He/She should have knowledge of USAID and other international donors that provide support to economic growth sector.
• He/She should be fluent in English; Arabic is a plus
• He/ She is expected to work closely with the assessment team members on this assessment
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.